8.21.2008

Freedom vs Security Pt I

I want to talk a little about Freedom vs Security, what those words mean to different people, what they mean to each other, and how they are diametrically opposed to one another. To have one, you must give up the other, so it becomes a choice presented to you which you would rather have. However, before that, I want to share a story that I believe illustrates this concept beautifully.

It's the fable of The Hungry Wolf and the House Dog from Aesop's Fables:


A skinny and hungry wolf by chance met a well-nourished dog. After the salutation, the wolf asked:

"You look so good, where do you come from? What do you eat to be of such a good spirit? I am stronger than you and I starve."

"You would have the same fortune," the dog responded simply, "if you wanted to serve my master the way I do it."

"What services are these?" the wolf asked.

"To guard the door and at night defend the house against the thieves."

"Good!" cried the wolf. "I'll do it. I bear rain and snow in the forests leading a miserable life. How much easier it would be to live under a roof and calmly satiate my hunger with abundant food!"

"All right," said the dog, "come with me. I will take you to my master." While they walked, the wolf saw the dog's neck, worn bare by a chain around his throat.

"Tell me, friend," said the wolf, "where does that come from?"

"That's nothing."

"Please, I must know."

"When I am too unquiet," the dog replied, "they tie me during the day so that I sleep when there is light and I watch when the night arrives. When the twilight comes, I walk wherever I want. They bring the food to me without asking for it, the master gives me the bones from his own table, the servants give me the rests and the sauces which nobody wants anymore. This way, my belly fills up without having to work."

"But if you wish to leave and go wherever you want, do they allow you to do that?"

"No, not at all," said the dog. "I would not be able to protect the master else."

"Well then," said the wolf, "enjoy your goods. I would not wish to be king in exchange of my freedom!"

1 comment:

Johnathan Clayborn said...

Great post, and wonderful food for thought. I must admit that I vociferously agree with what you say here; in order for someone to have "security" they must surrender their freedom. I think that the numerous anti-terrorism bills that have been passed allowing DHS to eavesdrop on your conversations certainly proves that point. The SOPA and PIPA bills last year also speak along the same lines. The most surefire thing that any person can do to protect their freedom is to learn to how to defend themselves.